I’ve done many things to the forum in hopes of gaining new members and getting more participation.
What have I done and do they work?
I would have to say, “yes.”
Here’s a list of things I’ve done to the forum:
1) Installed an auto image reflection to make images look ‘pretty.’
2) Added about a hundred different avatars.
3) Added forum statistics such as top posters.
4) Welcome headers for guests, new members and members who don’t post.
5) Welcome PMs that automatically sends a PM to new members.
6) VbBux/VbPlaza so members can have more fun while posting.
7) VbArcade so members can earn points by playing games.
8) Point download store where members can download products from points they earn.
9) And finally, I’ve added a category sponsor feature that allows my members to display the banner of their choice (any size, the bigger, the better) in a category.
That ad stays there for 2 weeks until the next person in line. I haven’t finished all the details on it yet, but I will be working on it.
These tactics have proven useful because in just 2 weeks (without me promoting or participating), I’ve gained nearly 30 new members. Just this year, my forum has grown from 75 to over 600 members. The likely hood of doubling it’s growth for the year 2007 is a matter of will and I have plenty of that.